PROFESSIONAL STATEMENT

cropped-Enews1-1bvbuh2.jpgMy philosophy of education is to provide an inquiry-based, individualized and constructivist learning experience; helping students learn how to learn, unlearn and relearn through the application of project-based learning experiences developed using the Understanding by Design process. I strongly believe in enabling students to take more responsibility for the content, processes and outcomes of their learning. I feel strongly students bring to school valid and important knowledge and that they are more active and involved in their education when the learning experience mirrors the real world through authentic curriculum design. I understand the importance of differentiation in the classroom – both for ability and learning styles. Each lesson should be diversified enough so that all students are able to learn in the environment that is the most comfortable for them.

Constructionism also provides a framework for hands-on and creative ways for students to design, experiment, build and invent as they deeply engage in math, science and engineering.

I am highly involved with the Maker Movement, a technological and creative learning revolution underway around the world, which is heralded as a new industrial revolution – combining the spirit of the old shop class with modern tech in community ‘Do It Yourself’ spaces. New tools and technology, such as 3D printing, robotics, microprocessors, wearable computing, e-textiles, “smart” materials, and programming languages are being created at an unprecedented pace. In my role as a technology coach, I aim to provide hands-on, creative ways to encourage teachers and students to design, experiment, build and invent as they deeply engage in science, engineering, math and tinkering. This breadth of options and the “Sky is the Limit” attitude is exactly what students need, especially girls who tend to opt out of science and math in middle and high school.