Project Arcade – Building my own arcade machine – Part 1

Not being able to travel home this winter break, I set myself the challenge to do something that I’ve wanted to do for many years…build my own arcade machine. I have had this on my to do list for years and after a little push from Aurora, I felt that this was the time to at least get started.

I was originally going to try to hunt down an old arcade cabinet but after doing a little research I realized it should be fun to make the cabinet myself. We moved to a bigger place a couple of months ago and now have a basement, so, why not?

Hooking up the control panel with all the electronics was relatively simple once I got all the materials with me. I got some pretty cool 30 mm. zero delay LED buttons and SANWA Japanese-style joysticks connected to a Pandora Jamma PCB Board processor via usb encoders. I did a mock up with cardboard before a build the final one in 18 mm. wood.

For the woodwork, my go to resource for this project was Mike Murray AKA The Geek Pub. I used Mike’s blueprints as my baseline, and made some modifications to fit my needs.

It is now fully functioning, tested by my gaming experts and loaded with hundreds of ROMS 😛 …Next steps: painting, adding T-molding to the borders, LED lights to the marquee and decals to the side panels.